Friday, July 1, 2011

Discipleship Camp

I am enjoying a quiet moment before the troops awake, enjoying a yummy cup of coffee with coconut milk. The past few weeks have been super busy. Our sweet niece is here with us for the summer. We sure are enjoying her company. She is super helpful and has a great attitude. She doesn't even mind pulling weeds in our huge garden, which is good since that is a daily assignment. :)

Last week, I served at our church's High 5 Discipleship Camp, think VBS just slightly different. Each morning we would greet the kids, listen to memory verses, worship together, listen to anointed in-depth teaching, and then break off into different "camps". I was a leader in the cake decorating camp. There was also a basketball and judo camp. We had so much fun learning to use different decorating tips and made lots and lots of pretty cakes. The amount of frosting we went through for twenty-three girls was incredible. I lost count at 15 gallons!

It was a very blessed time. Halfway through each camp, we broke off into small group discussion times going over the day's lesson. They were some smart girls who really thought through the issues. Some, including myself, realized how important our words are and how we need to change some habits. As with any type of ministry, the Lord always teaches the leaders something important. What He showed me was how pride likes to rear it's ugly head in so many areas of my life. It is not a pleasant thing to realize. But, I sure am thankful. By His grace and mercy, I have been catching my thoughts and "taking them captive to the Lord" as often as possible. It only takes a small match to start a forest fire (something we know all too well in the South West) and so a small negative thought can have the same disastrous effect in our lives if left unchecked.

My son was in the judo camp. His "coach" was an elderly man who was the highest degree black belt in judo and a former national champion. He was a great, big man with a heart that matched his size. He really spoke a lot into the children's lives all week. My son came home the first day and shared with his father how impressed he was that the man said how would have given up all his judo honors to have Jesus. He made sure the kids knew how much he loved the Lord and that it was not about judo, it was about Jesus. Sadly, on the fourth day after praying for the kids, he collapsed from a heart attack and went home to be with his beloved Savior. He will be sadly missed and remembered for a lifetime.

Things like this always cause us to pause and consider our own salvation. Are we ready? Each and every breath we have is a gift from God. May we not take any of it for granted.

Blessings,

Marninah

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow - what a sweet testimony about the judo couch at Discipleship Camp. I hope, though, he was not with the kids when that happened?

I love the sound of your Discipleship Camp. So differnet than the usual VBS!

Cinnamon said...

Hello Sweet Friend!! I love connecting with you on Facebook that I forget to come see you here.

What a fun camp that sounded like. How incredible that God took that man home right there in the middle of camp. What an impression he left on everyone and I bet on your son.

I like cake frosting :-) Wish I could have attended~

~Cinnamon