Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Of Caves and Gardens

Well, I am off to a slow start here. The weekend was busier than I expected with friends over and lots of fun activities. Our oldest daughter has been courting a young man for the past year, and for lack of better word, we call him her "beau". To call him her boyfriend just goes against they way they are handling their relationship. Her "beau" and a friend of Artsy Girl's spent the day with us on Saturday. We had good food, laughter, and many rounds of my favorite card game, Dutch Blitz. I am very thankful for the men and women, and their respective families, who serve in the military to make our weekend of fun, peaceful and free. Thank you!

The entrance to The Cave.
 
We drove up into the canyon just North of our house and went inside an old mining shaft. My husband and children went into it a few weeks ago, I had lost my courage at the entrance. This time I took a deep breath, convinced myself I was braver than I looked, picked up my very dim flashlight, tightly held my seven year son's hand and carefully tip-toed inside. It was very interesting...damp, eerily dark and a nagging feeling of just what is around the next corner. (The scat on the trail leading up the cave, that husband kept wondering if it belonged to a bear, did not help that feeling go away.) OR, better yet, just what was hanging over your head in the dark?? I could never be a dwarf, caves and I do not mix very well. The children all loved it, though. When I turned back towards the way of escape,  Benjamin went on much further without needing to hold my hand. :)

Inside looking back to the entrace, or more accurately....the way of escape!
On the more brightly lit side of things, we have been steadily working on getting our garden planted. The Spring weather has not been very cooperative, though. It got down to 29 deg. Monday morning and froze some of our plants. The last frost date here is May 15, so that was very unusual. I am hoping things will stay warmer now and we can get the rest of the seeds in the ground. Are you planting a vegetable garden this year?

Blessings,

Marninah







2 comments:

Cinnamon said...

Oh that cave looks a bit intimidating. But hooray for brave explorers :-)

I like the word *beau* sounds very old fashion :-)

~Cinnamon

Gfam said...

Tell ya what - if I ever make it out there, we can stand outside the entrance to the cave and wait together. Totally with you on the cave thing. I would need to be an elf.